Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Future Jayhawks Q&A

In November, Kansas head baseball coach Ritch Price announced his 2011-2012 signing class with the Jayhawks.

Throughout the season, we will conducts Q&A’s with the future Jayhawks, who have signed the National Letter of Intent with KU during the November signing period.

Our Second Q&A is with Connor McKay from Aurora, Colorado.

McKay, a 6-foot-3, 190-pound outfielder from Regis Jesuit High School in Aurora, Colo., is ranked as the top high school player in the state of Colorado by Perfect Game USA. During his junior season, he batted .446 with 10 homers, 34 RBIs and seven stolen bases. He was named an Under Armor All-American and was selected first team all-city and all-conference.


  • Following the recruiting process, why did you decide to sign with the Jayhawks?
I decided to sign with the Jayhawks because it’s one place that just fits for me in all ways, as well as my family.  They had my major as well as a good business school and a great D1 atmosphere. I’m excited to play for Coach Price and love how the KU fans support the school. Lawrence is a total college town. Plus it’s close to home, and that keeps my mom happy!

  • Did you make a visit to Lawrence, and what was your most memorable moment or place you remember from your trip?
Came down the weekend of Feb. 20. I was able to see the Jayhawks play OSU at Allen Fieldhouse and then the next day got to see the Jayhawks' home-opener against Creighton.  I really got to see the campus as a student before I arrive as a student-athlete.

  • What would you like to major in at Kansas?
Business, Economics, Engineering

  • Who has been the greatest influence in your life?
My dad has, by far, been the greatest influence in my life.

  • What is one thing Jayhawk fans would be surprised to know about you?
I can solve a Rubik’s cube, and I love ping pong. Those are 2 things off the top of my head.

  • What is your most memorable sports moment you have been involved in?
The Under Armour All-American Game by far. It was a once in a lifetime experience to play on Wrigley Field and play side by side with 35 of the best players in the nation. Not to mention being able to meet Cal and Bill Ripken.  I’ll never forget participating in the Home Run Derby and being the recipient of the first annual Kelly Kulina Award, which is awarded for character, work ethic and sportsmanship.
 
Favorite Major League Baseball team and player? Why?


KU Baseball Signee Connor McKay

The Rockies, Yankees, and Phillies are my favorite teams and my favorite player is Josh Hamilton.  By far he has the greatest story to tell, he motivates me to make something of myself to be somebody. When I grow up and when I’m playing ball I want to be that guy who makes people want to get up and do something with their lives.  That’s why I feel like my injury is a blessing in disguise.

  • What do you bring personally to the Jayhawk program?

Personally I feel I bring speed, a bat with both power and average, I bring an arm from the outfield and a glove, I love to dive for balls!  But most of all I bring energy and leadership.  Since my injury I’ve learned I won’t ever take playing the sport I love for granted.  No one should know what it feels like to have the game end abruptly and not be able to come back. Play every moment like it’s your last. Because you never know when it might end.

  • Do you have any superstitions when playing the game?

Plenty of superstitions!  One I'm avid about is not stepping on the line EVER. I follow all of my routines.

  • Besides sports what are your hobbies?

Ping pong, hunting, cars, just tinkering with things in general.

  • What do you look to get out of your Jayhawk experience?
An education, I want to be able to understand more about myself and who I am as a person.

  • What teams are you playing for this spring and summer?
I’m not sure if I’ll be able to play this spring, but if/when I do I’ll be playing for the Regis Raiders. I’m still deciding on a summer team, but will most likely be playing on a local college league or the Northwoods League.

  • If you were not playing baseball what would you be doing?
Playing another sport!  Maybe become an Olympic ping pong player, a sharpshooter, be a snowboard bum, be an economist or engineer.

  • If you had to be something other than a baseball player what would it be?
I would do something that involved baseball.  I like coaching kids.

  • What is your favorite thing about Kansas Baseball?
The coaches, the coaching philosophies, Coach Price and the entire coaching staff.  I haven’t gotten to know a lot of the players yet, but I’m really looking forward to my future here.


No comments:

Post a Comment