Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Future Jayhawks Q&A

KU Baseball NLI Signee Dakota Smith
In November, Kansas head baseball coach Ritch Price announced his 2011-2012 signing class with the Jayhawks.

Throughout the season we will conducts Q&A’s with the future Jayhawks, who have signed the National Letter of Intent with KU during the November signing period.

Our first Q&A is with Dakota Smith from Leavenworth, Kansas.

Smith, a 5-foot-11, 180-pound outfielder from Lansing High School in Leavenworth, Kansas, is the No. 2-ranked high school player in the state by Perfect Game USA. Smith batted .500 last season with nine home runs and 36 RBIs for Lansing. He stole 19 bases and struck out just twice during his team's 23-game season.

  • Following the recruiting process, why did you decide to sign with the Jayhawks?
I decided to sign with the Jayhawks after looking into my top choices for colleges, meeting the coaches, and seeing the facilities. I decided it was the best place for me to become a better student-athlete.

  • Did you make a visit to Lawrence, and what was your most memorable moment or place you remember from your trip?
I live about 45 minutes away from Lawrence and make several trips there for sporting events. My most memorable event so far has been some of the basketball games I have gone to. They are intense.

  • What would you like to major in at Kansas?
I don't know for sure, but either business or sports management.

  • Who has been the greatest influence in your life?
Probably my parents and my summer coach Mike Macfarlane. They have taught me a lot and have been a major reason why I want to stay in state and continue to get better with them around me.

  • What is something Jayhawk fans would be surprised to know about you?
I’m a pretty shy person until you get to know me than I am a real outgoing guy.

  • What is your most memorable sports moment you have been involved in?
I took a trip to the Dominican Republic when I was around 11 or 12.  It was the most memorable moment I have had. We played some pretty amazing baseball players on great fields and the country was just so different.

  • Favorite Major League Baseball team and player? Why?
Yankees, I don't like all the players on the team now but they have a great tradition and their past players are people I look up to.  My favorite players are probably Josh Hamilton and Cody Ross.  Josh Hamilton overcame some pretty big problems in his life and Cody Ross is an undersized outfielder just like me and I like to think I can make it just like he has.

  • What do you bring personally to the Jayhawk program?
I am a very good offensive player with surprising power and I don’t strike out a lot, plus I can run.

  • Do you have any superstitions when playing the game?
None out of the ordinary, I don’t step on the chalk lines before a game and I have a regular walk up when I hit that I never change before I hit.

  • Besides sports what are your hobbies?
I like to work out and hang out with a few friends. 

  • What do you look to get out of your Jayhawk experience?
I want to learn more about the game and become a better overall athlete.  I also want to become bigger and stronger and be a better leader and more outgoing and meet some good long time friends.

  • What teams are playing for this spring and summer?
I will be playing for Lansing High School and then traveling up to Cincinnati to play for the Midland Redskins in the summer.

  • If you were not playing baseball what would you be doing?
I don't know what I would do without baseball. Maybe I would try basketball or football. I was pretty good at those sports.

  • If you had to be something other than a baseball player what would it be?
I would be a coach or a sports business owner.

  • What is your favorite thing about Kansas Baseball?
Great coaches, I love all the people that work with the program and like all the players I have gotten a chance to meet.  The team is close and I know many of the guys I get to play with next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment