Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Future Jayhawks Q&A: Nate Arnold

In November, Kansas head baseball coach Ritch Price announced his 2011-2012 signing class with the Jayhawks.

Throughout the season we will conducts Q&A’s with the future Jayhawks, who have signed the National Letter of Intent with KU during the November signing period.

Our Seventh Q&A is with Nate Arnold from Pittsburg, Kansas.

Arnold, a 5-foot-11, 170-pound catcher/right-handed pitcher from St. Mary's-Colgan High School in Pittsburg, Kan., is the fourth-ranked high school player out of the state of Kansas according to Perfect Game USA. Arnold hit .490 last season with 11 doubles, eight home runs and 47 RBIs. On the mound, he posted a 5-0 record with 34 strikeouts and a 0.97 ERA. He is a two-time all-league and all-state selection and was honorable mention all-state as a freshman.

Following the recruiting process, why did you decide to sign with the Jayhawks?

I really liked the coaches, the atmosphere, and my future teammates. KU has always been the place I’ve wanted to go, ever since hearing about it from my family members who have attended this school.

Did you make a visit to Lawrence, and what was your most memorable moment or place you remember from your trip?

I’ve made many visits to Lawrence, whether to see a sports event or just to be in the environment and I would say spending time off the field with the players was some of the most exciting times of my life.

What would you like to major in at Kansas?

I would like to major in Sports Management.


Who has been the greatest influence in your life?

The greatest influence on my life would obviously be my parents but if I had to choose someone outside of my family it would be Mike Macfarlane who has been my traveling team coach for the past four or five years.


What is one thing Jayhawk fans would be surprised to know about you?

I pitched in the State Championship game when I was only a freshman, and my School has won seven state titles in a row.

What is your most memorable sports moment you have been involved in?

Winning the homerun derby at the World Series, when I was a year younger than all my opponents.


Favorite Major League Baseball team and player?

The Royals.

What do you bring personally to the Jayhawk program?

A past history of success and the determination to carry that on to field next year.

Do you have any superstitions when playing the game?

No, I believe that you can decide your own fate and no belief can make you do something you don’t want to do.

Besides sports what are your hobbies?

I enjoy spending time with my friends, going to sports events, and giving little kids baseball lessons.

What do you look to get out of your Jayhawk experience?

I’m looking for a degree, a Big 12 championship, and a chance to go to the college world series.

What teams are playing for this spring and summer?

I’m playing for St. Mary’s Colgan High School and the Mac-n-Seitz organization during the summer

If you were not playing baseball what would you be doing?

 I would be spending time with friends and family, and working out.

If you had to be something other than a baseball player what would it be?

I would want to be a coach.

What is your favorite thing about Kansas Baseball?

My favorite things about Kansas baseball are: The players, the coaching staff, and the atmosphere in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment