Friday, April 15, 2011

Future Jayhawks Q&A

KU Baseball NLI Signee Wes Benjamin
In November, Kansas head baseball coach Ritch Price announced his 2011-2012 signing class with the Jayhawks.

Throughout the season we will conducts Q&A’s with the future Jayhawks, who have signed the National Letter of Intent with KU during the November signing period.

Our fifth Q&A is with Wes Benjamin from St. Charles, Illinois.

Benjamin, a 6-foot-1, 185-pound left-handed pitcher from St. Charles East High School, is the No. 15-ranked high school player out of the state of Illinois according to Perfect Game USA. Benjamin posted a 13-2 record in 16 appearances last season. He recorded a 1.26 ERA and struck out 112 in 83 1/3 innings. He was also named the Kane County Chronicle High School Player of the Year as well as an all-state selection by the Illinois High School Baseball Coaches' Association.

  • Following the recruiting process, why did you decide to sign with the Jayhawks?
Skip and Coach Graves won me over right away, and I loved the idea of playing in the Big 12. I also have an uncle that lives in KC so it started to all come together. As soon as I got on campus, saw the field, and met some of the players, I knew this was where I wanted to be

  • Did you make a visit to Lawrence, and what was your most memorable moment or place you remember from your trip?
My family and I made a trip to KU the weekend of the Georgia Tech football game and getting to storm the field after the win was incredible.  That night we went out with some of the players and coaches and Jordan Jakubov ordered a round of chocolate covered bacon– I won’t forget that either.

  • What would you like to major in at Kansas?
Pre-Physical Therapy

  • Who has been the greatest influence in your life?
I have many people to thank - my parents, coaches and friends.

  • What is one thing Jayhawk fans would be surprised to know about you?
That’s a tough question to answer. I guess I don’t have any big surprises about me besides I love to make people laugh.    

  • What is your most memorable sports moment you have been involved in?
Being able to pitch at Wrigley Field was one of the greatest baseball moments I’ve been apart of, and will never forget.

  • Favorite Major League Baseball team and player? Why?
The Chicago Cubs are my team.  Wrigley Field has a great atmosphere and game day experience. Currently, I would have to say that my favorite player is Cliff Lee because he can just flat-out pitch. Someone who I strive to become one day.

  • What do you bring personally to the Jayhawk program?
I hope to bring a sense of intelligence and dominance to the mound when I pitch, and also to keep things fun.

  • Do you have any superstitions when playing the game?
Nothing real serious, but I always lace up my left shoe first on game day.

  • Besides sports what are your hobbies?
My interests involve mostly sports related activities when I’m not playing baseball, but I like hanging out with friends,

  • What do you look to get out of your Jayhawk experience?
I am excited to be a part of such a good recruiting class, and would love to have a shot at playing with the Jayhawks in the CWS playoffs someday, as well as building lifelong friendships here.

  • What teams are you playing for this spring and summer?
I will be playing for my high school, St. Charles East, this spring and will play for the Downers Grove Longshots in the summer.
    
  • If you were not playing baseball what would you be doing?
I stopped playing football (QB / Punter-Kicker) and basketball after my sophomore year, so I assume I’d be trying to play one of them instead. I look forward to watching them at KU.

  • If you had to be something other than a baseball player what would it be?
I have been looking into Physical Therapy, so it’s definitely a possibility for a future career.

  • What is your favorite thing about Kansas Baseball?
It’s hard to pick just one thing. The coaching staff, players, camaraderie, and just the overall atmosphere of the game are incredible. I’m excited to be apart of it all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment